The Publications Committee is charged with formulating an overall strategy for publications in the IPA. This strategy should ensure that publications clearly supports the interests of the membership, enhances the reputation of the IPA as an authoritative international organisation, particularly in the wider professional community, and maintains the publications output of the IPA, particularly in terms of fulfilling the agreement with Karnac Books.
To reflect the current process of internationalization of the IPA, the Publications Committee will ensure the promotion of the educational function of the IPA, to meet the growing demand for psychoanalytical education, scholarship and culture.
The Publications Committee is charged with the following specific tasks:
- To oversee the production of books in order to fulfill our publishing agreement with Karnac Books. This includes:
- Developing a strategy for around 6 publications per year in terms of establishing a coherent publishing list.
- Implementing this in terms of commissioning authors and overseeing the production of manuscripts.
- In conjunction with the Publications Officer, liaising with Karnac Books to agree the presentational aspects and consistent visual look of IPA /Karnac book production.
- Under our agreement with Karnac, Karnac pays for all production and marketing costs post manuscript and the overall objective of the IPA / Karnac agreement is to make a surplus over sales of the old and current list.
- To produce such IPA publications as the IPA Board or Executive Committee may from time to time agree in terms of commissioning editors and producing manuscripts.
- To recommend to the Executive Committee any titles for publication in other languages that Karnac may not wish to translate, bearing in mind the 'first refusal' part of the IPA's agreement with Karnac.
- To solicit ideas for publications from the Societies and the membership at large.
The Chair of the Committee will provide such reports as the Board requires for its reporting system.
Separation of Functions and Resources
The Committee should remain separate from the production, marketing and sales functions aside from the areas set out above and the overall business model will be provided by the Publications Assistant and Finance Department at the IPA
The Chair and Members of this Committee will be assumed to have submitted their resignations on the change of IPA administration in accordance with the Committees' section within the IPA's Procedural Code.
Approved by the Board January 2002
Revision to reflect agreement with Karnac books approved by the Board by e-mail October 2008
Revision to the term were approved by the Board July 2012
Removal of the term "Broomhills", March 2017