IPSO has a special arrangement for candidates to receive highly discounted access to the PEP Archive at www.pep-web.org . This will be advantageous to you unless you already have a subscription through your own psychoanalytic society. This offer is being made available to ALL candidates. In order to renew your PEP subscription at the preferential and highly discounted IPSO rate, IPSO dues must be current after your first year of subscribing.
If you are interested in subscribing to PEPWEB, this letter is important. Please take a few moments to read it through. It sets out the TERMS and CONDITIONS by which you will be able to gain access through IPSO’s special arrangements as well as what is the PEP Archive?, How much does it cost?, how can you sign up as IPSO Candidate?, How do you access the PEP-Web?
The special rate IPSO has negotiated is conditional on using PEP’s automated systems. Below are details as to how to log on. There should not be a problem. If you do run into difficulties ordering, please contact Sebastián Montes on [email protected]. Do not call or email PEP as they do not deal with individual enquiries.
What is the PEP Archive?
Since 2002 the PEP Archive has grown from 7 to 51 premier journals in psychoanalysis as well as containing 96 classic psychoanalytic books, and the full text and Editorial notes of the 24 volumes of the Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud as well as the 18 volume German Freud Standard Edition Gesammelte Werke. It spans over 142 publication years and there are over 90 thousand articles with over 11 thousand figures and illustrations that originally resided on over 1720 volumes with over 880 thousand printed pages. In hard copy, the PEP Archive represents a stack of paper more than 260 feet high and weighing over 3.6 tons! PEP recently added video as well as constantly updating the features. More material is added every year. Please note that you will not be
gaining access to full text published three or four years prior to 2011.
You will only be able to view an abstract, paragraph or only a couple
What are the conditions of use?
You will be asked to agree to these conditions when you sign up at our online remote order site. The three key elements are that you must comply with the usual copyright laws, must not share your access codes to anyone else, and must utilize the archive only for your personal use. You may NOT print out or use PEPWEB for a university, hospital, or other institution, or for work you do for any institution. We need your help here. In these days of budget cuts, some universities try to circumvent the purchase of access rights by asking staff to do so individually. You also must not start and stop your subscription. Doing so will result in you being required to pay for the period of time you missed, should you let your subscription lapse and then later rejoin.
Lending your userid can be detected by PEP’s systems and is a breach of the conditions. Breach of the conditions of use carries serious penalties. Use of the system implies agreement with the conditions. The TERMS and CONDITIONS are available in this link
How much does one pay?
IPSO has negotiated a special rate for ALL IPSO candidates for the first year of subscription. By your first renewal, all IPSO candidates (current with their IPSO dues), of $74US per annum may continue to subscribe. This rate is well below half the individual annual subscription and also exempts IPSO members from entry fees for so long as they continue subscribing and DO NOT let their subscriptions lapse. Please be aware that if you already have access to PEP via another organization – no refunds are payable for any reason once you have placed your order. If you already have access as part your society you should NOT subscribe through IPSO.
How does one sign up?
Upon request IPSO will create a secure record on PaDS (PEP’s system – the PsychoanalystDatabase)– and give your PEP Userid and PEP Password (displayed at the top of this letter). PaDS is a database jointly operated by PEP and some other psychoanalytic organizations which stores basic address data as well as your userid and password in a secure manner in compliance with international law. To order please go to: www.psychoanalystdatabase.com/Pages/pg100Home.asp. You cannot create your own account in PaDS that will link you to this special IPSO rate.
You will be asked to log on to PEP's secure database with your PEP User ID and PEP Password (please note that the password is case sensitive). You will see the PaDS homepage and have the option to UPDATE your details or to make a NEW ORDER. Click on NEW Order..
You will be presented with the Remote Product Order Form, with text much of which does NOT apply to you(except for information about subscribing to current content for Contemporary Psychoanalysis) Please ignore all other text.
Select the option for PEPWEB (by clicking the white box) which you will note has a price of $74. (If this is not the case, something has gone wrong, and you need to email your group organizer at, [email protected] . Do NOT select any other products.) Please then read the conditions in a box next to the price of $74.00 (which will open another window which you must close after reading to get back to the order page), complete the form (being sure your email address up-to-date and if not, updating it), and check the box agreeing to the conditions before proceeding to the credit card payment page.
Once payment is complete, you will have access to the PEP archive for 12 months. You will need to renew your subscription the same way. To maintain your IPSO preferential rate, you must do so before it lapses and your IPSO dues must be current. (You will still purchase 12 months from the previous renewal date.) You may continue to subscribe as an IPSO member for up to 12 months after you end your training and qualify. You should then be able to subscribe through your society. If not contact PEP – [email protected] prior to the expiration of your subscription. Please note that PEP sends out a courtesy reminder 6 weeks prior and then again 2 weeks prior to expiration. Sometimes different email carriers will spam or junk that mail coming from an automated system. PEP cannot take responsibility for emails not received by the end user. PEP recommends that you set up some sort of appointment reminder to renew 4 weeks prior to your subscription lapse date. This way you will be sure to renew in time. You will not lose any time on your subscription. Your subscription start date always remains the same.
If at some later stage you forget your password, proceed to the PaDS site (above), click “Forgotten your userid/ password,” enter your e-mail address on file with PEP, and follow instructions to have your information sent to that e-mail address. You will get a confirmation that an email has been sent to your email address (the one used on this letter, unless you have changed it and registered the change on PaDS).
You are now ready to access PEP-WEB
To access PEP-WEB
1. Connect to the Internet. You can download and save or print our material (for personal use) to read offline, but to access PEPWEB you must be logged in and connected.
2. Once you are connected to the Internet, open your browser and go to: http://www.pep-web.org. Save the address as a favourite for later use.
3. Click “Login,” which you will see at the top right of your screen. The Login page will display.
4. In the Login box, put your PEP userid and your unique PEP Password – the ones you used with PaDs. Please note that both your username and password are CaseSensitive and need to be typed EXACTLY as they appear.
5. If your computer is set appropriately, you will at this point be offered the opportunity to have your username and password stored, which will ease access in future. Do not do this unless you are working at your own computer. If you lose them, you must go to the PADS database (Psychoanalystdatabase) to be sent an email. You will find a link on the PEPWEB Login page.
6. Once you have entered your user name and password and clicked the Login box, you will know you are logged in because “Login” at the top right of the screen will have changed to “Logout.”
7. You will now be able to search and access all material in the PEP ARCHIVE. (Please note: the new PEPLiteratureSearch will also search the full text of recent or current material in journals to which you are not granted access by an archive subscription. This is offered to inform you of the latest journal content, but for the moment you will be able to access it only via a paper copy or online system arranged by the journal in question. PEP is working with publishers to find a way to give current journal subscribers access. At this time, the only journal we have this arrangement with is Contemporary Psychoanalysis and this is only if you are a current subscriber to that journal. You can purchase a subscription in PaDS (where you place your order for your subscription), or you can subscribe through the journal directly Please note if you are subscribed through PaDS (PEP), you must place your order separately from your annual PEPWEB subscription. You are subscribing to the paper journal and with that, you will gain access to the current content to that journal ONLY on PEPWEB for one year.
8. You may be interested to know that you can also search PEP, along with all other Internet content, via Google or Google scholar. This feature is designed to make psychoanalysis more widely known and available. If you find a PEP reference via Google, you will be shown the article summary and a Login box similar to the one described above. If you enter your username and password at that stage, you will once again get access to full PEPWEB archive content.
Note that the PaDS database remains the underlying system allowing authentication. Therefore, if you change your email or other address, or if you wish to change your userid or password to something you find easier to remember, go to http://www.psychoanalystdatabase.com/ , log in, and make the necessary adjustments by clicking on UPDATE. PLEASE BE SURE TO KEEP YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS UP TO DATE ON PADS. Also, please note that it can take up to 24 – 48 hours for us to confirm any proposed change that you make. You may not be able to gain access to PEPWEB until we do confirm your proposed changes.
In the event of a problem, note that PEP can deal only with Sebastián Montes(mentioned above), who will require you to report difficulties in a highly standard manner. Keeping things simple will keep costs down for everyone.
We hope you enjoy PEPWEB!