The Psychoanalytic Education Committee (PEC) is in the Development group of committees.
The aims of the Development group of committees are to foster scientific development and learning, and to maintain high professional standards.
The mandate of the Psychoanalytic Education committee is to facilitate and improve the exchange of ideas and experience among all IPA Directors of Training and provide advice and consultation on request to IPA Constituent Organisations.
- To develop active dialogue between PEC and IPA Constituent Organizations with the aim of providing an IPA 'third' to their training process.
- To highlight the comparative implications and products of each Institutes’ application of one of the three recognized IPA models approved in 2007.
- To establish a dialogue among Directors of Training on educational issues.
- To provide a source of advice on educational policies and procedures.
- To evaluate the applicability and impact of emerging practices or variations created by technology or practical need in the light of IPA requirements and philosophy of training.
- To ensure collaboration on educational development among PEC, ING, COCAP, and also relevant Task Forces.
Ways of working and reporting
The PEC will be expected to do most of its work electronically, using Skype, GoToMeeting, or other free-to-use communication systems. The committee, like all IPA committees, will be expected to be self-supporting for secretarial and other purposes, but will have access to the web and email support services offered by IPA Staff. Any face-to-face meetings should take place, so far as possible, adjacent to IPA or regional congresses.
The Chair of the Committee will provide a written report to the Board at least annually, outlining the actions and achievements of the Committee in pursuit of its mandate.
This is a permanent committee. The members of the Committee will be appointed in the usual way, by the President of the IPA and with the consent of the Board of Representatives.
Composition of the committee
The Committee will consist of a Chair, plus two members from each Region. The Committee may request the appointment of Consultants as it wishes (Consultants will not be funded to attend in-person meetings).
The Committee will propose a budget during the annual IPA budget cycle.
Approved by the Board January 2008
Committee name changed to "Education Committee" July 2017
Committee name changed to "Psychoanalytic Education Committee" December 2017
Revised mandate approved by the Board April 2018