The Research Committee shall be composed of a Chair, who is an internationally recognized researcher, and three Co-Chairs (one from each Region who shall be Chairs of the three specialist sub-committees). All shall be currently active, internationally recognized participants in the fields of psychoanalytic research represented by the sub-committees.
There shall be three sub-committees in these areas:
- Clinical Research Sub-Committee
- Research Grants Sub-Committee
- Sandler Conference/RTP Sub-Committee
These sub-committees shall each take responsibility for detailed work in their respective areas. Each sub-committee of the Research Committee will have up to 6 members in total (plus the Chair), including representation from each of the Regions.
The Research Committee shall:
- recommend research policies, priorities and budgets as well as report its activities and the activities of its sub-committees to the Board of Representatives annually;
- recommend to the President names of people who might be appointed to the Research Committee and its sub-committees;
- explore the feasibility of outside funding and other strategies to advance psychoanalytic research consistent with the best research standards in the interest of psychoanalysis as a science and a clinical practice;
- work with other IPA bodies and organs including the website, the newsletter, journals, congress programs, etc., to disseminate research findings to IPA members and the public.
Ways of working
The Research Committee will be expected to do most of its work electronically, using Zoom, GoToMeeting, or other free-to-use communication systems.
The committee, like all IPA committees, will be expected to be self-supporting for secretarial and other purposes, but will have access to the web and email support services offered by IPA Staff. Any face-to-face meetings should take place, so far as possible, adjacent to IPA or regional congresses.
The Committee will provide a written report to the Board annually, outlining the actions and achievements of the Committee in pursuit of its mandate.
This is a permanent committee. The IPA members of the Committee will be appointed in the usual way, by the President of the IPA and with the consent of the Board of Representatives.
The Research Committee will consist of:
- a Chair;
- three Co-Chairs (one from each Region who shall be Chairs of the three specialist sub-committees);
The committee may request the appointment of other Consultants to advise on specific issues as needed. (Consultants will not be funded to attend in-person meetings.)
The Committee will propose a budget through the IPA budget cycle.
Approved by the Board, August 2021